Orders Extending Time Limits Established by Pension Legislation Under the Responsibility of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness (COVID-19)
- Order Respecting Time Limits Established by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Superannuation Act (COVID-19) or under the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Superannuation Regulations (COVID-19) or the Former Members of Parliament Counting of Service Regulations (COVID-19)
- Order Respecting Time Limits Established by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Pension Continuation Regulations (COVID-19)
(This note is not part of the Interim Order.)
Due to COVID-19, active and retired members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) may not be able to complete pension related transactions with the Government of Canada Pension Centre within the statutory time limits outlined in the RCMP pension plans. To address this issue, Parliament has enacted the Time Limits and Other Periods Act (COVID-19), under Part 3 of An Act respecting further COVID-19 measures, which suspends certain time limits and enables federal ministers to extend or suspend other time limits included in federal legislation.
Pursuant to subsections 7(1), 7(2) and 7(5) of the Time Limits and Other Periods Act (COVID-19), the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, as minister responsible for the RCMP Superannuation Act (RCMPSA) and the RCMP Pension Continuation Regulations (RCMPPCR) has made Orders temporarily extending time limits, under this Act and these Regulations, which expire between March 13, 2020 and December 31, 2020 inclusively.
The Orders will extend these time limits by 180 days or until December 31, 2020, whichever occurs first and the extensions are retroactive to March 13, 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic officially began.
The Orders will extend time limits associated with:
- Exercising a right under pension legislation related to buying back or transferring service
- Revoking an election or an option that a plan member had requested
- Submitting forms and documentation to support an application for an election, or a survivor benefit; and
- Choosing a retirement benefit provided under pension legislation, notably a transfer value
The Orders came into force on the day they were signed by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.
- Date modified: