Living outside of Canada: Royal Canadian Mounted Police pension

The following information is intended for retired members who live outside of the country.

If you move outside of Canada, please advise the Government of Canada Pension Centre of your new address. The Pension Centre can then advise if your move will affect survivor benefits, your insurance benefits plan coverage or your income tax.

Please see the following questions and answers for more information.

You may want to know…

Can you receive your pension payment at an address outside of Canada?

Yes. Payments are made in the currency of your country of residence. However, if you choose to have your pension payment by direct deposit to a bank in Canada, it will be issued in Canadian dollars.

Can the direct deposit of your pension payment be sent to a bank outside of Canada?

Yes. If you live in one of the countries accepting foreign direct deposits, your pension payment can be deposited directly into your account. The deposit is made in the currency of the country in which you live.

Visit the Foreign Direct Deposit site to review the countries that offer direct deposit and/or to obtain the required direct deposit enrolment forms.

How is your pension income reported for income tax purposes now that you live outside the country?

As a non-resident, you will receive an NR4 slip indicating your pension payment income.

If part of your pension payment income is paid under the terms of the Retirement Compensation Arrangements (RCA), you'll also receive an NR4-RCA slip.

However, the total amount of income tax withheld from all pension benefits under the RCMP Pension Plan and the RCA will be reported only on the NR4 slip.

For the year that you move outside Canada, you'll receive both a T4A and an NR4 slip.

How is the amount deducted for income tax determined now that you are living outside Canada?

The amount deducted for income tax is determined by your country of residence according to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) non-resident tax guidelines.

Can you get a tax exemption or reduction in the amount of non-resident tax that's withheld from your pension?

The Government of Canada Pension Centre is required to withhold tax according to your country of residence. Any exemption or reduction in the amount of tax to be withheld must be authorized in writing by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Please contact the International Tax Services Office if you wish to pursue an exemption or reduction.

Does your Public Service Health Care Plan coverage continue?

Your Public Service Health Care Plan coverage can continue, however, the cost of coverage for those living abroad is higher than it is for Canadian residents. For information concerning rates and coverage, please consult the Public Service Health Care Plan Directive. Claims will be paid in the currency of the country where you reside. You will need to apply to change to out-of-country coverage.

Does your Pensioners' Dental Services Plan coverage continue?

You're covered by the Pensioners' Dental Services Plan as long as you continue to pay your contributions. Reimbursement is based on reasonable dental charges in the area where the services are performed. Eligible expenses are reimbursed in Canadian dollars.

Date modified: